2015 PDIDA Board members:
17 N. Hanover Street
Pottstown, PA 19464
Phone number 610 323-5400
Sheila Dugan Main Street Manager – Direct Line: 484 948-6061
PDIDA is a community non-profit organization that relies on the help of others to be successful. If you would like to help contribute to a better downtown and community, please contact us via email, phone or stop into the office. Thank you in advance for your help!
17 N Hanover St
Pottstown, PA 19464
Sheila Dugan Main Street Manager
The National Trust Main Street Initiative
offers a comprehensive commercial district revitalization strategy that has been widely successful in towns and cities nationwide. Described below are the four points of the Main Street approach which work together to build a sustainable and complete community revitalization effort.
The Main Street Manager
The role of the Main Street Manager is to facilitate the four points listed below.
1) Organization - Organization involves getting everyone working toward the same goal and assembling the appropriate human and financial resources to implement a Main Street revitalization program.
2) Promotion - Promotion sells a positive image of the commercial district and encourages consumers and investors to live, work, shop, play and invest in the Main Street district.
3) Design - Design is all about getting Main Street into top physical shape while capitalizing on its best assets.
4) Economic Restructuring - Economic restructuring strengthens a community's existing economic assets while expanding and diversifying its economic base.
Pennsylvania offers a wealth of historic architecture in its small towns that are constant reminders of their prominent role in the nation's founding and its establishment as a place of business. In keeping this architecture preserved, towns like Pottstown will continue to attract a creative and innovative group of community members to explore a variety of business, restaurant and art enterprises.
Main Street Vision Statement
Main Street Initiatives (MSI) works with the business and building owners, city government, the Chamber of Commerce and the community to promote downtown areas as a shopping and browsing destination by encouraging a healthy business mix. MSI also intends to place occupants in the abundant office space and to increase the number of people living and working in the downtown district. And the development of upper floor space for market rate housing promotes downtowns as a desirable living community.
Towns like Pottstown can be a central hub of arts and entertainment in eastern Pennsylvania. Within this creative district, arts tourism will continue to flourish. Faculty and students from Montgomery Community College, West Branch, and Pottstown High School explore what downtown has to offer by frequenting shops, restaurants, galleries and gathering places. By holding special events and targeting retail business to interest young adults, Main Street Initiatives continues to foster the home-grown "Buy Local" relationship and sense of community.
The MSI communities strive to maintain safe, clean and green initiatives. By adding more kid-friendly businesses, family tourism will strengthen. Business and event promotions aimed at foot traffic and held during daily hours of operation will offer families with children more opportunities in Downtown Pottstown.
In offering more venues and opportunities for families, artists, business owners, building owners, and residents, initiatives like MSI will create more vibrant and livable downtowns.
PDIDA is the Pottstown Downtown Improvement District Authority.
The Authority manages and coordinates activities as well as promotes the business district in Downtown Pottstown. Although PDIDA supports all activities and economic growth throughout the Borough of Pottstown, it's primary focus is the downtown district which encompasses High Street from Evans Street to York Street and businesses on Charlotte and Hanover Streets, just north and south of High Street.
The PDIDA Board is made up of volunteer citizens, business owners and property owners, who bring their time, creative energy and talents to enhance and promote our downtown district. The Board meets the first Thursday of each month at 7:30 a.m. in the PDIDA Office, located at 17 N. Hanover Street.
All of our meetings are open to the public and we encourage you to attend, especially if you are a current merchant or are considering locating your business in downtown Pottstown.
Originally PDIDA was formed to help revitalize and preserve the central business district. During the term of 2011/2012 a new Board was established and a new Main Street Manager joined forces to move PDIDA forward. We hope that you will join with us and say we are "Proudly Pottstown"
The Pottstown Downtown Improvement District Authority (PDIDA) is a special assessment district that includes High Street from York Street to Evans Street and adjacent blocks on Hanover, Penn, Charlotte and Evans Streets. PDIDA relies on a board of volunteers to carry out its overall mission of fostering a safe and welcoming downtown that results in long-term sustainability for the businesses and organizations that call downtown Pottstown their home. PDIDA provides services that supplement those of the Borough of Pottstown and the property owners within the district. Primary responsibilities include keeping the downtown clean, safe and inviting. PDIDA also creates and promotes special events designed to attract visitors, new businesses, and organizations to the downtown.
PDIDA seeks to maintain the historical integrity of the central business district while promoting economic and business opportunities that make Pottstown a destination location for residents, visitors and businesses. By attracting retail, service and commercial-oriented activities that generate "foot traffic", PDIDA hopes to create long-term viability and sustainability for the downtown business area.
Five core areas are the focus of this vision:
- Effectively managing the public spaces by providing amenities such as lighting, plantings, well-maintained trash receptacles and clean and safe streets.
- Capitalizing on Pottstown's historic past by promoting the historical character of downtown buildings in economic development programming.
- Being an advocate for growth in downtown Pottstown.
- Coordinating with government and other local and regional organizations, such as the Borough of Pottstown, Pottstown Area Industrial Development, Inc. (PAID), The Carousel, The Schuylkill River Heritage Area and the Pottstown Arts and Cultural Alliance, to effectively promote downtown Pottstown and
- Creating vibrant activities that bring people downtown and encourage the community to "buy local."
- Financially Support and become an important partner in our Proudly Pottstown Community!
Please donate to help us keep bringing more and better events to Pottstown. From our entire community, we all thank you for your contributions.